Furthermore, both Dreher and Carlson are convinced that the kind of national Christian-democrat conservatism Hungary espouses is a viable way forward in the perpetual culture war against the leftism, wokeness, and general insanity tearing away at the very fabric of Western civilization. Concerning the matter noted above, Dreher notes the following:
Orban understands clearly that the globalist, consumerist, secularist, anti-family ideology that is now dominant in the West will wipe out all the things that conservatives should be eager to conserve. Someone tweeted yesterday that they never imagined that American politics would come down to Team Soros vs. Team Orban. Actually, it does: you can have an aggressively globalist, woke progressive, secular, free-market ideology, or you can have an aggressively nationalistic, anti-woke conservative, religion-friendly (but not sectarian) ideology that believes in the free market, but not at the expense of more important values. The middle ground is fast decreasing. The “principled Madisonian conservatives” and their sort cannot stand against woke militancy. You are going to have to decide, or your stance will be decided for you by circumstances.
I get where Dreher and Carlson are coming from. I really do. When I moved to Hungary from the Anglo world, I was very much inspired by Orbán and his stance against the "aggressively globalist, woke progressive, secular, free-market ideology." I thought I had moved to a country whose leaders seriously believe in important values steeped in Christianity. In many ways, I did move to a country like that, for even now it would be false to claim that Hungary is not a better place when it comes to the evils that have thoroughly saturated other Western countries, but Dreher's remark concerning a fast decreasing middle ground is revelatory in terms of exactly what kind of country Hungary is at the moment.
"The middle ground is fast decreasing" is simply another way of describing the phenomenon of things coming to a point. Things effectively came to a point in 2020 with the Satanic global totalitarian coup, which was implemented via the birdemic. The overarching point about Hungary is that conservatives like Dreher and Carlson refuse to report upon the point in Hungary.
Any conservative pundit who lauds Hungary's government for its anti-wokeness but fails to acknowledge the Hungarian government's complete and utter surrender to the 2020 global birdemic coup and its global diktat of "none are safe until all are safe" has not only demonstrated a total and inexplicable lack of discernment of evil, but has also revealed himself or herself to be complicit with the aims and objectives of the birdemic coup and, consequently, on the wrong side of the spiritual war.
Here is a short list of items conservatives like Dreher and Carlson fail to mention in their gushing praise of Hungary as a beacon of goodness and conservatism:
- The birdemic measures Hungary implemented in 2020/2021 were among the most draconian and heavy-handed in the world.
- Hungary was one of the first countries in Europe to push the peck program AND the peck passport program.
- Hungary was one of the first countries in the world to initiate a discrimination policy against the unpecked, effectively banning unpecked people from many public spaces.
- Though the Hungarian government professes to protect children's welfare at all costs, it has no reservations about mandating the peck for children. Plans are currently being drafted to mandate the peck for 12-16 year olds.
- The Hungarian government has been saturating the country with pro-peck propaganda since January, flooding the airwaves and news with some of the biggest lies and manipulations I have ever personally encountered.
- The conservative Hungarian government has fined many individuals and organizations for spreading "fake news" about the peck program.
- The Hungarian government has blamed the leftist-liberals for any anti-peck stance in the public.
- The Hungarian government has encouraged Hungarian citizens to sign up for a third peck dose.
The birdemic has waned in Hungary for the time being. All restrictions and measures were lifted about six weeks ago. Since then, things have returned to what some would refer to as normal - no face masks, no social distancing, no unpecked discrimination, no peck mandates. On the surface, life looks and feels very much like it did before the birdemic appeared in country in March 2020. At the same time, the media continues to issue faint but ominous warnings of an impending fourth wave sparked by the latest Greek letter variant.
Here's my prediction. The fourth wave hits Hungary in a few weeks' time. The government blames the fourth wave exclusively on the unpecked - including unpecked children - and unleashes a viscious propaganda campaign to turn the pecked portion of the population against their unpecked brothers and sisters. The government will then institute a series of "offers that cannot be refused", including peck mandates that are tied to employment and access to essential social and health services.
I wonder if conservatives like Dreher and Carlson will report on any of that.
Note added: I'm not sure how complicit Carlson really is. I am not all that familiar with him. He has, apparently, been critical of the birdemic and the peck. Nevertheless, he totally ignores the issue in his recent interview with Orbán, posted below for anyone who may be interested.