- the Renaissance released an unprecedented outburst of freedom and human creativity, personified most notably by DaVinci
- the creativity itself was good, but it was misinterpreted; thus, it cut humanity off from its "organic center" and distanced man from God
- "humanism may have liberated human energies, but it cannot be said that it lifted man up spiritually -- it emptied him"
- of DaVinci, Berdyaev notes: "He was responsible for the mechanization and materialization of modern life, for its dead-ness and for the loss we have suffered for its highest meaning."
- for Berdyaev, the source of humanity's creative force is the spirit of God. This source is not within the physical, organic nature of humanity itself -- which is the message of pantheism and of secular humanism -- rather the creative source is a spiritual source, one that is not quantified and material-based. It is not discernible through scientific study. It is a mystery, and it is within that mystery, within the embracing of that mystery that its strength lies."
- Humanity and its relationship to its Creator and the creative force beneath that creation is steeped in mystery and awe and creative power. This is the image of God within homo sapiens, and it is within this mystery that our true, unique creative power lies.
- "The night is coming and we must take up spiritual weapons for the fight against evil. We must make more sensitive our power for its discernment. We must build up a new knighthood.
An interesting video that briefly outlines Berdyaev's views concerning man's misinterpretation of creativity in the modern world since the Renaissance. The main points:
Blog and Comments
Blog posts tend to be spontaneous, unpolished, first draft entries ranging from the insightful and periodically profound to the poorly-argued and occasionally disparaging.
Comments are moderated. Anonymous comments are never published (please use your name or a pseudonym).
f er en c ber g er (at) h otm ail (dot) co m
Blogs/Sites I Read
Bruce Charlton's Notions
Meeting the Masters
From The Narrow Desert
Synlogos ✞ Aggregator
New World Island
New World Island YouTube
Fourth Gospel Blog
Trees and Triads